Oscar Leiva/Silverlight for CRS
Conscious Coffee Consumption
Rebekah Kates Lemke
CRS Ethical Trade is proud to partner with the leading fair trade coffee company Equal Exchange. You can make a difference in the lives of farmers by purchasing coffee, chocolate and snacks from this worker-owned cooperative. With every purchase, Equal Exchange donates a generous percentage to the CRS Fair Trade Fund, which is then invested in farmer and artisan groups around the world. By supporting ethical businesses like Equal Exchange, you support farmers, artisans and CRS. Plus, you can enjoy a great cup of 100% fair trade coffee.
As we enter into the cool months of winter, grab a cup of fair trade coffee and learn some fun facts about this favorite morning, afternoon and yes, evening treat.
- Legend has it that an Ethiopian goat herder discovered coffee by accident when he noticed his goats eating the red berries of the coffee shrub and then dancing around.
- Brazil and Colombia are the world’s leading coffee producing countries. The United States imports and consumes more coffee than any other country.
- A recent Nielsen survey found that 66% of respondents are willing to pay more to coffee companies committed to positive social and environmental impact.
- We drink more than 500 billion cups of coffee worldwide a year.
- Coffee is the second most traded legal commodity—after oil—in the world.